If you plan on growing any climbing, creeping plants – the heavy-duty creeping roses, wisterias or grape vines, medium-sized Virginia creeper, or just the delicate morning glories – all will need a structure to hang on to, something to support their growth appropriately.
- 36 designs of planters and vertical gardens that do not need much space and look spectacular
- 38 Shelf Ideas for Plants in the Greenhouse
- 22 ideas of planters along the fence or wall to beautify the exterior
- Beautiful Succulent Planters for Attractive Room Decoration
- 34 Ideas to Decorate the Fence With “Slats” to Add Style and Privacy
That “something” is the garden trellis.
It offers support for beautiful flowering or fruiting vines ( such as rose or cucumber trellis ), adds a more growing area for small gardens
And in raised beds, and helps to create attractive outdoor spaces such as arches, tunnels, gates, privacy screens, and beautiful walls and fences.
There are many shapes and sizes of garden trellises. They can differ drastically in their design, material, and ease of construction. Tall, gate and tunnel-like frames are called arbors and pergolas.
These trellises are easy to make from readily available materials or are affordable to buy. Many simple DIY designs have been used in gardens for centuries.
Let’s explore the basic trellis designs, ancestors of all other modern trellises!